Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Counting the Cost"

Luke 14: 27-28. " And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, where he have sufficient to finish it?
When I first came to Christ, I don't think I counted the cost; I was so overjoyed with God. All I wanted to do was cry out and be close to him. As I grew in Christ, I came to understand that as Christians our foundation in life has to be Christ; but in order for us to walk in that there has to be a life of self-denial. Paul said, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20. We used this verse so much, but we never understand the full capacity of what this scripture means. To crucify means to put to death, to torment, to die.
Counting the Cost is knowing that if we work the works of the flesh we are not entering the Kingdom of God. Counting the Cost is letting Christ live through us; this can only happen if we are dead to sin. Romans 6:6-7 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Counting  the Cost is knowing that we have to run with patience and lay aside every sin and weight that so easily beset us! Things in our life may not be "sin", but if its hindering us from running in this race that is set before us, we must cut it off. ( Hebrews 12:)We have to deny ourselves and pick up our cross and follow Jesus. This is a life of self-denial, so Christ can live through us. We are ambassadors for Christ. ( 2 Corinthians 5:20) We live as authorized messengers for Christ, how can speak what God would have us to say, if we are not bearing our Cross? If we are still live according to the lust of our flesh? God help us.  God, help us to understand the requirement, the standard by which we should live, ( The Word of God) the sacrifice it will take to build this foundation. Let us bear our cross.







No comments:

Post a Comment